Friday, May 25, 2012

Note to Self: Take a Chill Pill!




I have decided that I need to get back into writing!!! Since my last post, we have brought in 2 new additions to our little family here in Maine!  In March, we brought home two 12 week old kittens, Topher and Mellie, from an Animal Orphanage here in town.  They are such perfect little babies for David and I, each with their very own personalities.   After teaching and working in the lab all day, I just can’t wait to come home and snuggle with them! While we both love each of them to pieces, Topher is definitely a mama’s boy and Mellie is a daddy’s girl and our nights often end with one of them on each of our laps before heading to bed.  I can’t even begin to explain how happy I am and how at home I feel with my little family!  David also started working at his new job this last month, so we’re 100% all settled in.

As far as work is concerned, I finished teaching my second full semester earlier this month.  I can’t say that it was easy- it definitely tested my skills and my patience as an instructor, but I feel like I finished it strong.  I really learned about the hard parts of teaching this time around and I think I am the better for it.  Between work and some tough times for my family, I would say that I was pretty stressed lately- albeit a TOTALLY different kind of stress than the comps monster brought about.  My grandmother has been pretty sick and getting a solid diagnosis was a long and difficult process.  She just started radiation in the last couple weeks and is feeling more comfortable now.  The whole experience has really shown me how strong my mother and my grandmother are.  It really gives me the drive to be just as courageous- my health issues can’t even compare to what she is dealing with.

Despite staying positive through all of this, the stress has caused a few episodes of arthritis flare ups recently.  I find that they tend to occur at the start of the weekend, typically after a fairly busy week.  It’s like my body can hold up when I’m super focused, but when I can relax, the stress hits me like a ton of bricks.  On the one hand, CF related arthritis flare ups only last for a few days generally (rather than a constant problem), but on the other, it often affects multiple joints all at once.  For me, my fingers, shoulders, hips, knees, feet, and chest/back are all swollen and sore, along with getting red painful spots on my arms, legs and butt cheeks (really cute, huh?).  When it’s really bad, all I can do is lie uncomfortably on my side, take 2 tylenol with codeine, and wait for the meds to kick in.  Basically, it turns me into a total cry baby.
It’s difficult to deal with that and feel healthy, and harder still to feel like doing what I can to avoid future flare ups.  Over the last week though, after getting over my last bout and a round of antibiotics, I went to my CF clinic and endocrinology appointments.  And you know what? I’m doing really well (considering)!!  My PFTs (pulmonary function test to assess my lung capacity) went up 5% and my a1c (gives an idea about my average blood sugar levels over a 3 month period), while a little higher than last time, is decent.  So I’m hanging in there. 

My goals for now?  1) Continue to solidify my dissertation plans and bring them back to my advisor for review.  2) Get back into exercising- specifically running! It’s so great for my lungs AND my diabetes!  3) Stop stressing about every little thing.  Between my emotional and physical health, there’s no limit to the benefits of reducing stess.  Hopefully the beautiful weather and my amazing family will be great motivators to keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment