Saturday, October 15, 2011

Everybody's Workin' for the Weekend!........No? Just me, then...


Today was most certainly one of those days in which I was feeling overwhelmed.  I’m working for the weekend and it‘s just my luck that it also happens to be Homecoming Weekend which means lots of people, and no available parking- not really the best addition to a Saturday full of work. Nonetheless, I got to the lab and got working on some behavioral tasks.  I took a whack at getting some other stuff done at the same time- needed to register for the upcoming neuroscience conference (SfN) in November, as we have a poster to present.  Basically, this entails spending ridiculous amounts of money so that I can make some connections at other universities- awesome for networking, not so much for my wallet.  After paying off a bunch of medical bills recently (pretty much the standard for a CFer), spending a few hundred dollars on a 2 day trip was the last thing I wanted to do.  There’s something about spending that much money on something that I can’t physically bring home and see the value in that gives me a little mini panic attack.

I finished up my first round of behavioral tasks and took care of hotel and registration fees and decided to run out to get lunch. I arrived at my car to find a nice little parking ticket on my window- awesome.  My fault for parking in the visitor lot (right behind my building) but frustrating in that they NEVER ticket on the weekends.  Sigh.  After a bit of a scream fest in my head, I finished up my work and headed off campus for the day. While waiting in stop and go traffic on the tiny small-town road with the rest of the Homecoming campus visitors, I was able to indulge in a little bit of day dreaming (my all time FAVORITE thing to do). 

I thought about the beautiful, grown up and quiet (albeit small) apartment that I looked at this week and hoped that I would come home to find an email from the building manager awaiting me.  Really nice apartments are hard to come by in this small college town so I hoped that it is at least big enough for our furniture- including our new elliptical that will be an awesome addition to my treatment regimen.  I thought about David’s upcoming interview for a promising job up here in Maine.  The move is starting to become more and more real and it’s almost all I can do to keep from bursting with excitement at this point.  There’s a lot of work ahead of me between now and then, but it will at least keep me busy so that it goes by quickly.   Aside from work stuff, in the back of my mind I keep thinking about my next doctor’s visits and keeping my fingers crossed that all of my work keeping up with my treatments have paid off!  I’ll be happy if my pfts stay where they are for the 5th month in a row, but it would be AWESOME if they bumped up even a little bit!

For now, I’m going to unwind and get to my standing nightly skype date with David, watch some Lost, do my nebulizer meds, and continue to wait for an email about the apartment (pleeaaaaasseeee!!)! Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment